Polotsk war museum
The Polotsk Combat Glory Museum will organize an open-air exhibition of arms near the firing-points which were part of the Polotsk fortified sector of the Stalin’s Line fortification zone. The museum will also set up an exposition dedicated to soldiers of the 22nd Army which defended Polotsk in June-July 1941 and stopped the Nazi troops on the north flank of the central part of the Soviet-German front line.
The museum’s exposition is replenished in line with the Polotsk Town Development Programme for 2008-2012. The main goal of the programme is to stimulate the development of the tourist industry and to turn the town into one of the leading tourist centres of Belarus. According to Stanislav Krassovsky, in the near future the Polotsk Combat Glory Museum may receive the status of a branch of the Stalin’s Line historical and cultural memorial.
The Polotsk fortified sector was built along the Soviet-Polish border in 1932. Its length was more than 50 kilometres. The fortified sector included a system of artificial barriers, fighting trenches, cover positions, command points facilities and ammunition storage facilities. The main purpose of the Polotsk fortified sector was to defend one of the most important frontier railway junctions and a passage through the Zapadnaya Dvina River near Polotsk. During the first days of the Great Patriotic War, owing to the combat equipment and engineering constructions of the Polotsk fortified sector, Soviet army had been holding back the attack of the enemy for 21 days.
Похожие страницы :
|Polotsk: Tourist routes|